Friendship, Finland and a special photoshoot.

Bijgewerkt op: 21 sep. 2019

In August 2018 I received an app from my friend Floor Jansen. She asked whether I could travel to Finland in July 2019 for a photoshoot for her band Nightwish. I could also stay for a couple of days in the "Nightwish Summercamp". I had to read the message three times before it sunk in what was asked of me. Doing a photoshoot for Nightwish? Me? And a short holiday in a beautiful nature reserve to boot as well? Of course I wanted to do that! With a lot of enthusiasm and disbelief I texted her back.

A month before the photoshoot I discussed with Floor what was required. Were the photo's for a CD, promotional purposes or something else? And probably even more important; were the photo's to be taken in a studio or on location? I was informed that the photo's were meant for a tour poster and possibly for other events as well. The photoshoot would be both in a studio as well as on location. I was also asked if I could bring my own studio equipment, because renting a studio, or even studio equipment locally was not possible. The photo's were to be taken during the days of rehearsels of Nightwish and it so happened that that was in a nature reserve in the middle of nowhere of Finland. So, with some mild stress I started to think what equipment I needed to pack and how I could get it all in one piece to Finland. I got some help and tips from Foto Gery Heerlen and at the end of July 2019 I boarded the plane to Finland fully loaded.

In Helsinki I met Troy Donockley. He greeted me with "Heya Darling" which made me feel welcome right away. Walking and chatting we made our way to the gate for our next flight for our final destination towards the middle of Finland. Marko Hietala was waiting for us on arrival. Again, there was a warm welcome and after some chatting our suitcases arrived. At least so I thought..Sure enough my suitcase with clothes arrived, but there was no sight of my suitcase with my photography equipment. I thought: This cannot be happening! But after some enquiries (my Finnish is not that great) my suitcase appeared lost.I had to fill in a form and had to describe how the suitcase looked like. My description of a black fabric bag the size of a coffin did raise some eyebrows, but they put it in the system nonetheless. When I told the flight attendant that I really needed my equipment the next day and that I would not be staying in a hotel nearby, I saw some panic in her eyes. However, she told me that everything would be well and that I should enjoy my holiday. It's not that I had much choice..

After a car ride of an hour, we arrived at the Summercamp. Floor was waiting for me with a cold beer! It was great seeing her again and to be back at the Summercamp. It's has such a beautiful environment! Floor's daughter Freja called me immediately and told me to come to the house where I met the mother in law of Floor. She took care of Freja when Floor was working. After hugging all the Nightwish men, I could immediately join them for a homecooked meal. It may have been vegan, but it was delicious nonetheless! ;-)

During dinner I told them that my photography gear did not arrive yet and that I hoped that we could start on time. Tuomas Holopainen and Floor said to me: "Everything will be fine, we'll call the airline tomorrow. The bag can't really be lost and if it would arrive a bit later, we'll simply reschedule some things. We can do the photoshoot on location first and than we'll see whether the gear for the studio shoot has arrived or not. Take a glass of wine and enjoy a hot sauna." These kind words did make me feel a bit more at ease, but still, what if my gear would be damaged, arrive too late or not at all? I did not sleep that well..

Photo: Chiling and enjoying the Finnish sun, camp fire, sauna, good whine and lovely people

The next day I called the airline at 10 o'clock, but since my Finnish isn't that great I was put through all the time. The Finnish makeup artist Marja offered to call on my behalf and look for my coffin. After a while we finally heard that the suitcase was found and that it was on it's way to the airport. The airline offered to deliver it on our location, but since our location was difficult to find, we decided that it would be best if we go get that coffin ourselves. However, the band was already rehearsing, Marja would soon start with the makeup and I needed to prepare the location for the photoshoot. So the task fell to the husband of Marja; Jukka. He had to fetch my coffin. The poor man, 2 hours in a boiling hot car, just to fetch some photography equipment.

In the meantime, the preparation continued. Floor and the guys were already applied makeup and I was looking for good locations and configuring my camera. As time passed by I gradually become more nervous. What if it all goes wrong? What if the pictures are not good enough? I would not only disappoint the band, but also my best friend. And afterwards I would be spending 4 vacation days of with them! Luckily I got distracted by the arrival of Jukka with my photography equipment. Nothing was damaged. The photoshoot could continue!

*Photo: The first outside location. In the background you can see the lake

After everyone was made pretty by Marja, we went outside towards our first location. An old dilapidated barn used for storing wood. Floor had been so kind to do a preliminary investigation and she came up with this location. It was perfect as background! After everyone had taken their positions and Marja and I had taken care of some details, the photoshoot began. And what a joy it was for the mosquitoes! There were entire legions. I believe that everyone had at least 5 bumps after our first location. The second location was 3 minutes further away. It was a beautiful rock formation at the other side of the camp. Here as well people were instructed where to stand and yes, the mosquitoes were present here as well. But that was to be expected 3 metres away from the lake. After some switches in positions I was done. The band seemed surprised that is was finished already. A photoshoot normally took a lot longer with them. However, I was sure I had taked good pictures, so I saw no need to prolong the outdoor photoshoot. The band was applied another layer of makeup, because with 30 degrees Celsius their eyeliner was floating over their cheeks. In the meantime I was setting up the studio in a small abandoned house. There was a terrible moldy smell, but it was the only suitable location for a photo studio. The band entered the house and was again surprised. This time because of the background, a black/grey spotted canvas. This happened to be exactly what they had in mind. Fortunately, because it was the only canvas I had.

The interior of the house that served as a studio

We first decided to to some individual shots, eventhough it was not really necessary. However, I remarked:"We're here, all dressed up. So why not?". This seemed to convince the band and one by one I got them in front of my camera. After the individuel shots it was time for the group picture. In a studio it's a little bit more difficult than on location. At least for me. Especially when the singer is the tallest of them all and the gitarist is about 50 cm shorter. There is also an unwritten rule that the singer is often in the middle, so that is what I was going for as well. At least at first. All were in a good mood, silly things happened, tin cans of Lonkero were distributed and everyone was at ease. Makeup artist Marja again helped me fantastically and before I knew it, the studio session was done as well. The last photo was enthusiastically celebrated with some more Lonkero and a lot of hugs from the band. I believe they were happy that it was all done ;-) And to be honest, I was as well, because now I could enjoy my holiday in peace. That evening we followed the same ritual as all the evenings that would follow: Wine, food, sauna, a fresh dive in the lake and some more wine. All accompanied by fantastic 80's hits and magic tricks from Troy.

One of the many beautiful sun sets at the Summercamp

The next day the band wanted to see the photos. Together we watched the raw photos on the TV. Very scary, because in photoshop you can still make things “more beautiful”. And after repeating for about 5000 times that these really were just the raw versions, I assumed the band would understand. With a knot in my stomach I started the computer and the photos came by 1 by 1. It was completely silent ..... For a moment I felt panic: “Oh God, why does nobody say anything? Are the photos not good? Why did I think I could handle this? ”And then drummer Kai Hahto said: "That's really cool!" And Tuomas and Floor who sat opposite of me immediately agreed . Pffffff what a relief!

The favorite photos were noted, the knot in my stomach was gone and I got a glass of wine from Floor. Believe me, wine has never tasted so good! And from that moment on, the holiday had really started!

One of the chosen photos. This has also been used to announce the Nightwish Concert in the Ziggo Dome. So proud!

fThe following days were incredibly laid back, the band rehearsed every morning and afternoon and I therefore had time to enjoy the sun and nature. And to spend a lot of time with Floor's daughter, my "niece", and her mother-in-law. And all that in my comfy jogging suit. Once again I realized how lucky I am. Few people get the chance to photograph a famous band, then celebrate a 4-day holiday with them and enjoy their secluded Summercamp. And all that with my best friend in my favorite country Finland!

Holiday mode ON!

After a few relaxing days I unfortunately had to pack my suitcase again. I had a ridiculously early flight, so at 7 a taxi was waiting for me. I had said goodbye to everyone the night before, so I tried to put my coffin and suitcase in the taxi as quietly as possible. The taxi ride lasted an hour and the Finnish taxi driver was a bit too happy so early in the morning. But I was able to learn some Finnish again. The flight to Helsinki was nice and fast and it was nice and quiet on the plane so I could sleep for a bit. Once I arrived in Helsinki, I decided to take the bus to the citycenter and walk through my favorite city. After all, I had to kill 6 hours before my next flight. After a delicious lunch at Senaatintori, a visit to the market and the shopping street, I took the bus back to the airport. A bought lots of salmiak licorice and Salmiakki (vodka with salmiak taste) and then I really had to go home.

The flight to Düsseldorf was very restless. I had 2 children sitting behind me and a mother who apparently had a real vacation and was turned "off". I decided not to get agitated, my vacation wasn't entirely over yet. Arriving in Düsseldorf, my parents were already waiting for me. Fortunately, my suitcase with clothing soon arrived, but where was my coffin with my photo equipment? Not again! My fellow passengers eagerly grabbed their bags and soon I was alone, without my coffin. So I went to the counter for lost luggage again. Déjà vu...

Thanks to Tom Schuijt for the english translation.

Dutch version below.

Vriendshap, Finland en een speciale fotoshoot.

Vorig jaar augustus kreeg ik van mijn vriendin Floor Jansen een appje: of ik in juli 2019 naar Finland wilde afreizen om een fotoshoot te doen voor haar band, Nightwish. En of ik dan meteen een paar dagen wilden blijven in het “Nightwish Summercamp”. Ik heb het appje 3 keer moeten lezen voor doordrong wat er precies gevraagd werd. Ik? Fotograferen voor Nightwish? En een korte vakantie in een prachtig natuurgebied als bonus? Jazeker wilde ik dat doen! Ik heb haar met veel enthousiasme en wat ongeloof terug geappt.

Een maandje voor mijn vertrek besprak ik met Floor wat de bedoeling precies was. Waren de foto’s voor een cd, voor promotie, voor andere doeleinden? En waarschijnlijk nog belangrijker: was het een studioshoot of een shoot op locatie? Het antwoord kwam al snel: de foto’s zouden gebruikt worden voor een tourposter en eventuele andere aankondigingen. En het zou een locatieshoot èn studioshoot moeten worden. En of ik mijn eigen studiospullen kon meenemen. Want een studio in de buurt huren, of zelfs studioapparatuur huren was niet mogelijk. De foto’s zouden gemaakt worden tijdens de repetitiedagen van Nightwish en laat deze band nu repeteren in een natuurgebied in the middle of nowhere in Finland. Dus met enige stress begon ik te bedenken wat ik nodig had en hoe ik het in hemelsnaam allemaal (heel) in Finland zou krijgen. Na wat hulp en tips van Foto Gery in Heerlen stapte ik eind juli, bepakt en bezakt, in het vliegtuig naar Finland.

In Helsinki ontmoette ik Troy Donockley. Zijn “Heya Darling” zorgde meteen voor een warm welkom en samen, al kletsend, gingen we naar de gate van onze volgende vlucht, richting het midden van Finland. Daar aangekomen werden we opgewacht door Marko Hietala. Ook hier volgde weer een warm welkom en na wat geauwehoer kwamen onze koffers van de band. Alhoewel, dat dacht ik....

Nadat ik mijn koffer met kleding van de band had gehaald, wachtte ik vol smart op mijn koffer met fotografiespullen. Maar deze kwam niet. “Het zal toch niet waar zijn!”. Na enige navraag (mijn Fins is niet zo heel goed), bleek mijn koffer spoorloos te zijn. Dus moest ik een formulier invullen en omschrijven hoe het koffer eruit zag. De omschrijving “zwarte stoffen tas, formaat doodskist” deed enkele wenkbrauwen fronsen, maar werd wel zo ingevoerd in de computer.

Toen ik vertelde dat ik de spullen de dag erna nodig had en niet in een hotel in de buurt zat, was er lichte paniek bij de stewardess. Maar ze verzekerde mij dat alles goed zou komen en ik lekker van mijn vakantie moest gaan genieten. Ik had ook weinig keuze...

Na een autorit van een uur, kwamen we aan in het Summercamp. En daar stond Floor op me te wachten, met een koud biertje! Wat was het fijn om haar te zien en weer terug te zijn in het Summercamp. Het is zo’n mooie plek! Floors dochtertje Freja riep meteen dat ik naar het huisje moest komen en daar ontmoette ik ook de schoonmoeder van Floor. Zij zorgde voor Freja als Floor aan het werk was. Nadat ik de Nightwish-mannen allemaal geknuffeld had, kon ik meteen aanschuiven voor een homecooked meal. Veganistisch weliswaar, maar toch heerlijk ;-)

Tijdens het eten vertelde ik dat de fotografiespullen niet waren aangekomen en dat ik hoopte dat alles kon doorgaan. De reactie van Toumas Holopainen en Floor was: “komt goed, we bellen morgen even met de vluchtmaatschappij. De tas kan niet kwijt zijn en als hij later dan morgen komt, verzetten we wat dingetjes. We doen eerst morgen de locatieshoot en kijken dan wel. Pak een glas wijn en geniet van een warme sauna.” Het zorgde voor wat meer rust. Maar toch, stel je voor dat mijn spullen beschadigd waren, te laat zouden aankomen, of zelfs helemaal kwijt zouden zijn? Die nacht sliep ik niet heel relaxed.

Relaxed genieten van de finse zon, kampvuur, sauna, goede wijn en lieve mensen

De dag erna hing ik om 10 uur aan de telefoon met de vluchtmaatschappij. Maar aangezien mijn Fins niet echt top is werd ik een beetje van het kastje naar de muur gestuurd. De Finse make-up artieste Marja bood aan om te bellen en op zoek te gaan naar mijn doodskist. Na wat heen en weer gebel kregen we eindelijk te horen dat het koffer was gevonden en op weg naar het vliegveld was. De vluchtmaatschappij bood aan om het te komen afleveren, maar aangezien het Summercamp echt moeilijk vindbaar is, leek het ons verstandig om de doodskist zelf te gaan halen. Alleen de band zat midden in een repetitie, Marja zou na de repetitie beginnen met de make-up en ik zou al de locatieshoot gaan voorbereiden. Dus was de man van Marja, Jukka, de zak. Hij moest de doodskist gaan ophalen. Arme man, 2 uur in een bloedhete auto voor wat fotospullen.

Ondertussen gingen de voorbereidingen door. Floor en de mannen zaten in de make-up, ik bekeek de mogelijke locaties en stelde mijn camera in. En ondertussen werd ik steeds zenuwachtiger. Wat als het fout gaat? Wat als de foto’s niet goed genoeg zijn? Dan stel ik niet alleen een band teleur, maar ook mijn beste vriendin. En dat moet ik nog 4 dagen vakantie vieren met hun. Gelukkig werd ik afgeleid door de komst van Jukka en mijn fotografiespullen. En alles was nog intact. De studioshoot kon dus doorgaan!

De eerste buitenlocatie. Op de achtergrond is het meer te zien.

Nadat iedereen mooi was gemaakt door Marja, trokken we naar buiten en gingen we naar de eerste locatie, een oude, vervallen schuur waar hout in wordt opgeslagen. Floor was zo lief geweest om al vooronderzoek te doen en zij was met deze locatie gekomen. Perfect als achtergrond! Nadat iedereen zijn positie had ingenomen en Marja en ik enkele details hadden rechtgetrokken, begon de shoot. En het feest voor de muggen! Want die waren er genoeg. Ik geloof dat iedereen minimaal 5 bulten had na de eerste lokatie.

De tweede locatie lag op 3 minuten van de eerste locatie, een prachtige rotsformatie aan de andere kant van het kamp. Ook hier werd iedereen geinstrueerd hoe ze moesten staan en ook hier waren de muggen volop aanwezig. Wat wil je ook, 3 meter van een meer af. Na enkele wisselingen in posities had ik alles erop staan. De band leek verrast dat het al klaar was. Normaal duurt een fotoshoot bij hun veel langer. Maar ik wist zeker dat ik goede platen had geschoten, dus we waren klaar wat betreft de buitenshoot.

De band ging nog een keertje in de make-up, want met 30 graden dreef de eyeliner langs de wangen. En ik zette in de tussentijd mijn studio op in een vervallen huisje. Het stonk er verschrikkelijk naar schimmel, maar dit was de enige ruimte geschikt als fotostudio. De band kwam binnen en was wederom verrast. Dit keer door de achtergrond, een zwart/grijs gevlekt doek. Dit was precies wat ze voor ogen hadden. Gelukkig maar, want het was ook mijn enige zwarte doek.

Het interieur van het huisje dat als studio diende

We besloten eerst wat individuele shots te maken, ook al was dit niet echt nodig. Maar mijn opmerking: “We’re here, all dressed up. So why not?” leek de band te overtuigen en één voor één kwamen ze voor mijn camera staan. Na de individuele shots was het tijd voor de groepsfoto. En in een studio is dat toch net weer iets lastiger dan op locatie. Tenminste, dat vind ik. Zeker als de zangeres de langste van het stel is en de gitarist ongeveer 50 cm kleiner is. Ook is er een ongeschreven regel dat de zanger/zangeres vaak in het midden staat. Dus daar hield ik me ook maar aan, in eerste instantie. De sfeer zat er weer goed in, er werden onnozelheden uitgehaald, de blikjes Lonkero werden uitgedeeld en iedereen voelde zich op zijn gemak. Make-up artieste Marja was wederom een grote hulp en voor ik het wist stond ook de studiosessie er op. De laatste foto werd enthousiast gevierd met meer Lonkero en vele knuffels van de band. Volgens mij waren ze blij dat het achter de rug was ;-) En ik ook eerlijk gezegd, want nu kon ik rustig genieten van mijn vakantie. Die avond volgden we hetzelfde ritueel als elke avond: wijntjes, eten, sauna, een frisse duik in het meer en nog meer wijntjes. En dat alles begeleid door fantastische 80’s hits en goocheltrucs van Troy.

Een van de vele mooie zonsondergangen in het Summercamp

De dag erna wilde de band de foto’s zien. Samen keken we via de tv naar de onbewerkte foto’s. Doodeng, want in photoshop kan je toch nog veel “mooier” maken. En na 5000 keer herhalen dat dit echt de ruwe versies waren, nam ik aan dat de band het wel zou begrijpen. Met een knoop in mijn maag startte ik de computer en kwamen 1 voor 1 de foto’s voorbij. Het was muisstil..... Even was het totale paniek in mijn hoofd: “o God, waarom zegt niemand wat? Is het niet goed? Waarom denk ik ook dat ik dit aankan?” En toen zei drummer Kai Hahto: that’s really cool! En dit werd meteen beaamt door Tuomas en Floor die tegenover me zaten. Pffffff wat een opluchting!

De favoriete foto’s werden genoteerd, de knoop in mijn maag was weg en ik kreeg een glas wijn van Floor. Geloof me, wijn heeft nog nooit zo goed gesmaakt! En vanaf dat moment was het echt vakantie!

Een van de gekozen foto's. Deze is ook gebruikt om het Nightwish Concert in de Ziggo Dome aan te kondigen. Zo enorm trots!

De dagen erna waren enorm relaxt, de band repeteerde elke ochtend en middag en ik had daardoor tijd om van de zon en natuur te genieten. En om veel tijd door te brengen met de dochter van Floor, mijn “nichtje”, en haar schoonmoeder. En dat alles gewoon in mijn comfy joggingpak. Ik realiseerde me weer eens al te goed wat een geluk ik heb. Weinig mensen krijgen de kans een grote band te fotograferen, vervolgens 4 dagen vakantie met ze te vieren en te genieten van hun afgelegen Summercamp. En dat allemaal met mijn beste vriendin in mijn favoriete land Finland!

Vakantie-modus AAN!

Na een paar relaxte dagen moest ik helaas mijn koffer weer inpakken. Ik had een belachelijk vroege vlucht, dus om 7 uur stond de taxi op me te wachten. Ik had de avond van te voren al afscheid genomen van iedereen, dus zo stil mogelijk probeerde ik mijn doodskist en koffer in de taxi te stoppen. De taxirit duurde een uur en de taxichauffeur was een iets te vrolijke Fin zo vroeg op de ochtend. Maar ik heb weer wat Fins kunnen leren. De vlucht naar Helsinki ging lekker rap en het was lekker rustig in het vliegtuig waardoor ik nog een uiltje kon knappen. Eenmaal aangekomen in Helsinki besloot ik de bus naar het centrum te pakken en nog even door mijn favoriete stad te lopen. Ik moest immers 6 uur overbruggen. Na een heerlijke lunch op Senaatintori, een bezoekje aan de markt en de winkelstraat pakte ik de bus weer terug naar het vliegveld. Daar nog veel salmiakdropjes en Salmiakki (vodka met salmiaksmaak) ingeslagen, maar toen moest ik toch echt naar huis.

De vlucht naar Düsseldorf was erg onrustig. Ik had 2 kinderen achter me zitten en een moeder die blijkbaar echt vakantie had en “uit” stond. Ik besloot me niet op te winden, ook ik had nog een beetje vakantie. Aangekomen in Düsseldorf stonden mijn ouders al op me te wachten. Gelukkig kwam mijn koffer met kleding al snel van de bagageband af. Maar waar bleef mijn doodskist met fotospullen? Toch niet weer hè! Mijn medepassagiers gristen gretig hun koffers van de band en wederom bleef ik alleen achter, zonder doodskist.

Dus begaf ik me weer naar de balie voor verloren bagage. Dejavu...

6.877 weergaven0 opmerkingen

Recente blogposts

Alles weergeven